Saturday, July 23, 2011

Wallace, NC...

Exactly! Wallace, NC, what could possibly be cool there? The answer? Only one of the creepiest and coolest restaurants we've ever been in, and trust me we've been in a few. We happened to take a random exit in North Carolina and we took a wrong turn. We plan on doing that very often on this trip, yeah we know it's dangerous but this is an adventure and we want some danger. So we see this brick castle and we immediately want to know what's inside so we park, collect ourselves and head in with camera ready and mom/dad on speed dial just in case!!! As we realize there's no one else here, we walk up to the oak and wrought iron doors, we throw them open and begin our odyssey. As soon as we walk into this grand hall we realize, we may be underdressed. There's huge tapestries and stained glassed walls all around. Everything was made out of nice wood and iron. It was lit like a castle with torches on the walls and stone floors added to the creepy feeling. It was deserted. As we proceed down the entrance hall I realize my phone has no service for the first time ever...lol. As we get to this huge oak desk, that is the hostess stand, a little lady pops up and welcomes us. We ask if there's a dress code and she promptly tells us we are perfect how we are and that they had been expecting us. OK....so we follow her to this little secluded room that has 3 booths and a 6 top round table that is a small replica of King Arthurs mighty dinner table. This is where I feel our last meal will be, what a quick adventure! So as the hostess seats us I do what any American husband would do when they arrive at Draculas castle and no one else is around. I head to the bathroom leaving my wife behind. As I meander through all the halls I walk into an archway that leads into the pub. This place is cool, copper ceilings, stone floors, and more huge wood tables. A big guys dream! So after I take this all in, I go out a separate entrance and head down a creepy hallway with more tapestries and blood red carpet that looks like it just came from the set of "the shining!" I get to what looks like the end and it opens to a huge room with a spiral staircase descending from the right. Yeap, just like Draculas! Bathrooms to the left. I promptly head to the bathrooms because at this point it's been 10 minutes since I'd seen anyone. The only staff was the hostess that had been expecting us. So anyway, I head back to the table and realize the whole dining room is split into these little chambers, pretty cool actually. I turn the corner and am relieved to see Laura alive and well with 2 fresh ice waters. She assures me there's a real person taking our order and I am now relieved. Time to dine. We shared a French dip sandwich and a cheese dip that was hot lava but wonderful. As we finished, we headed outside and proceeded to take pictures with the huge boar fountain, we noticed a new couple going in. How exciting! There never was anyone else in there while we were there, except the host and server. What a hidden gem. So if any of you guys are out and about in Wallace, NC stop by the mad boar restaurant. It's quite a place, there wasn't much business, but it was so neatly decorated and well made, you just feel like it was built for a king, or a leader of vampires, your choice. www.madboar.com
Take care,
J & L

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like our kind of place, should you dad go fully dress... cloak and cane with his green man persona?

    Love and miss you!

    Mommy Dearest!

    ReplyDelete